The Cancer Fitness Institute
The mission of the Cancer Fitness Institute is to develop, provide and support opportunities for quality cancer-specific exercise programs to patients and survivors in a healthy and positive community environment.
The Cancer Fitness Institute has been providing exercise programs to cancer survivors for over twelve years, helping over 1,600 cancer survivors regain strength and confidence through exercise. Our focus is on providing a program that is “health” rather than “hospital” oriented, to give our participants the opportunity to exercise in their own community and to incorporate exercise as a lifelong habit. The six month CancerFit exercise program is open to adults of all ages and fitness levels. Participants are both men and women who have survived every type of cancer. Exercise physiologists with a cancer specialty oversee all aspects of the exercise regimen, which aids in recovery and general fitness during and after treatment. The fitness program includes flexibility, balance, cardiovascular and strength training. The program is currently offered through 18 recreation facilities across Colorado , with one location in Minnesota.
The Cancer Fitness Institute has created a “train the trainer” program, offering education to exercise physiologists and other fitness professionals on our CancerFit program. Our goal is two-fold: create a small army of exercise professionals specifically trained to work with cancer survivors, and see the CancerFit program implemented in every community across the nation.
The Cancer Fitness Institute's Training Course is a complete turn-key program. Participants leave with the knowledge, experience, and related paperwork to bring a cancer exercise program to their own recreation center or other organization. For more information about how exercise benefits cancer survivors, please click here.
For a list of current facilities offering the CancerFit Program, click here
November 9-10, 2013 in Littleton, Colorado
The Cancer Fitness Insititue is designed for exercise physiologists and/or related professionals desiring to implement and successfully operate a CancerFit Exercise Program for adult cancer survivors. Course provides:
- Instruction in basic knowledge of cancer, related terms, and treatment methods
- Outline of common side effects and related concerns, cautions, and possible limitations
- Evidence-based approach to the benefits of exercise and healthy lifestyle habits for survivors
- Evaluation, Assessment, and Operational tools for cancer exercise programming
- Case Studies with realistic scenarios to teach methods of incorporating best practices
- Emphasis on foundational exercise principles
This course defines a growing population and their needs within the exercise science field. Course includes guidance in developing technical skills and methods that can assist in creating a sustainable cancer exercise program. This includes:
- The basic skills and knowledge required to create a safe, sound, and effective evidence-based program for increasing cancer survivorship
- Resources to assist in expanding upon this solid foundation
- Current guidelines for assessment and comprehensive management of the multi-dimensional needs of cancer survivors
- Practical Experience in exercise testing and program development
- Inclusion in the Cancer Fitness Institute’s network of support and guidance
- Understand diagnosis, treatment and recovery methods available during Cancer care
- Determine functional limitations of individual clients due surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, or other post-treatment
- Based on history, intake methods, and physical assessment, prescribe appropriate goals, measures, and exercise routines to support an overall improved quality of life for the individual
- Have knowledge of applied programming principles to develop a community based fitness program for cancer survivors
The TWO-DAY Cancer Fitness Institute training program includes the training/reference manual and all related CancerFit paperwork, CEC's/CEU's, certificate of completion and lunch both days. The class size is limited to 20. To register, click here.
The Cancer Fitness Institute has been approved by the American Council on Exercise for 1.0 CEC's and the Colorado Professional Certification Board has approved this training for 1.3 CEU's.
Please contact the CPRA Office with any questions at 303-231-0943 or email@example.com.
Can't make this training? Click here to be added to the future training email list.